How to Call Social Security
If you need to call Social Security, there’s a national social security phone number that handles calls from anyone any time. Some services are automated and they are available 24 hours a day seven days a week. If you Social Security matter can’t be handled through an automated system and you absolutely must talk to a person then that too is available Monday through Friday from 7AM to 7PM. Mondays are the busiest days for calls to Social Security so if you can wait until later in the week you’ll have a shorter wait time.
Social Security Phone Number: 1-800-772-1213
How to Contact Social Security
You can call the social security phone number and get the following services by automated response, 24/7:
- change your address so you get your checks
- request a social security benefit letter (for housing, etc)
- if you need a copy of your SSA-1099 or your SSA-1020 you can request one (for prescriptions etc)
- if you lost your Medicare card, request a new one
- find out where you local Social Security office is located
- if you’re new to Social Security, begin the application process for Social Security benefits
- request a new Social Security card
- change your name on your card
- get info about Social Security like when to call and not have to wait so long, when your benefit checks will arrive, what to do if you suspect fraud, etc
Calling You Local Social Security Office
Most communities have a Social Security office nearby. You can walk in, make an appointment, or call them. However, the Social Security Administration does not publish the local social security phone numbers. You can try looking up Social Security in your local phone book or searching online and you will probably find the phone number of your local Social Security office.
Social Security Phone Number for Employers
If you are an employer and you need to call the Social Security Administration, there is a separate phone number for you.
Social Security Phone Number for Employers: 1-800-772-6279 (general)
1-888-772-2970 (help with W2 and W2c)
Social Security phones are open Monday through Friday 5am to 1am Eastern time. You can even call on the weekends: Saturdays 5am to 11pm and Sundays 8am to 11:30 pm. Nice!
By calling these numbers, employers can:
- get help with wage reporting
- get help with Social Security’s online W2/W3 reporting system
- get the local Social Security phone number for an office near you
The Social Security Website
Much of what you can do over the phone when you call the social security phone number can also be done online at the social security website. For example you can apply online for retirement, change your address, start direct deposit for your benefit checks, and get a benefit verification letter. All of these services can be requested online at your convenience without having to wait in line on the phone or in a Social Security office.